About the Role
The Motion Designer is a full-time position responsible for bringing Freethink videos to life with custom design and animation. The Motion Designer will work collaboratively with editors, directors, and producers to help tell stories by conceptualizing, designing, and creating compelling, original motion graphics in 2D and 3D formats.
The Motion Designer will also work with Freethink’s design and creative teams to establish creative direction – with respect to motion design – for Freethink’s new original shows and series.
We are looking for someone highly creative, collaborative, and passionate about ideas, storytelling, and design. We are also looking for someone who can both brainstorm ideas with others but also run with projects independently with minimal direction.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Function as primary motion designer on assigned video projects managing the design and animation from kickoff meetings through conception, execution and delivery
- Interpret brand identities for new shows to create motion graphics direction and animated branding assets like logos, title sequences, and custom end cards
Collaborate with Directors to brainstorm the vision for each video piece
- Coordinate with Post-Supervisors and Producers to create excellent work within tight deadlines
- Manage multiple ongoing projects, including: editorial content, sponsored content, and branding projects
- Maintain a strong understanding of Freethink’s style and approach
- Create compelling and creative visuals consistent with - - ---Freethink’s style and approach
- Create styleframes and storyboards to guide the design process for videos
- Create reusable assets and templates to reduce production times
- Consistently innovate on and experiment with design elements for videos
4 years of experience creating compelling motion design for documentaries, television, or online media
Eager to take initiative on storytelling in post-production
Proven history of animating impactful ideas
Strong visual and motion design skills, with a clear grasp of balance, identity, color, typography, layout, and motion
Passion for current design trends and knowledge of design culture, current and past
Highly organized and an excellent communicator
Desire to always be improving your craft
Ability to research stock and archival assets for use in animations
Technical Requirements (must be at a professional level with the following)
Cinema 4D with Redshift rendering (or similar)
Other industry standard Adobe CC software also useful inc. Premiere, Illustrator
About the Company
Freethink Media is a publisher telling stories from the frontiers of our rapidly-changing, ever-inspiring world. We focus on short-form documentaries and interviews with the world’s brightest minds.
We’re a platform for the people and ideas that are changing our world — sharing stories of innovators, entrepreneurs, and activists who are thinking differently and making a difference.
Today, Freethink Media consists of several media properties, including the most notable, Freethink and Big Think.
Watch this trailer to see what we’re all about.
Our core teams in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, and DC are joined by a growing network of Directors, Editors, Composers, Designers, Journalists, Developers and more all around the country. Together, we're building the kind of media company we all want to work for: curious, experimental, and ambitious.